Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing 19 Web 2.0 Awards: Livemocha!


Thing 19 was just plain fun and several of these Web 2.0 winners have potential in the schools.  In order to weed out and prioritize, I decided to focus on tools that were free, tools that were new to me, and tools that I needed. Every  Web 2.0 tool I played with had me convinced that I had found nirvana--until I moved on to the next item. In the end it was either .docstoc or Livemocha, both of which I could use at school and at home, but my final vote went to Livemocha.  In the spirit of globalization and online learning, Livemocha has developed a self paced resource to build reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in your choice of several languages. You must be over 13 to register, and at registration, you indicate your native language, and then the language you wish to learn, one being Japanese. We sure could have used Livemocha this year with a student who only spoke Japanese!   I have registered and fully intend to dust off my Spanish and French! 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Stephanie and I help out eduFire.com with community marketing. If you get a chance check out the website. I think along with Livemocha, eduFire.com will promise to become the future teaching tool for classrooms throughout the country.

If you are interested in participating in a free session or any of readers please let me know and I will set something up for all.

Have fun educating and I will continue my online language learning education!

Steph

Blue Eyes blogging said...

S, I have looked at eduFire.com . One thing really impressed me--the availability of both Cantonese and Mandarin. Very important distinction.

Infomaniac said...

Thank you for sharing the link. I will also look at eduFire.com. We have so many foreign language students at my school--bet these sites will be useful--also need to learn more Spanish and will give these sites a look.

Infomaniac said...

I love the look of your webpage. How do you put those links in? The only way I know is to copy the url and paste it into my text. Yours looks so much better with the name of the sight.

Blue Eyes blogging said...

Hi Infomaniac, Thank you for the compliment my page layout. I am beginning to think it looks a little crowded, but I keep testing things to see which elements to keep.
I will try to explain how I put the link in the text. Go to the site that you wish to include in your post. Copy the url. Go to the "Create Post" area. Open the "Posting" box where you type your thoughts. Type your post. Highlight the word that you would like to act as the link to the url. Now, find the 7 small icons under the" title bar". Click on the icon that looks like 3 chain links. It is the one after the "italic" symbol. It opens a box where you paste your url. Save. That should do it! Good luck and I'm glad to help!

Unknown said...

I'm happy to hear that all of you thought eduFire.com was a great language learning resource. I started out as a Spanish student on the site a few months back and was very passionate about what they have going so I decided to help out!

Let me know if I can get you set-up with a free first session.