Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing 21 Pod/vidcast

This "thing" has been intense and it has taken me forever--since July 5th! I studied all the information for several days, and then I began working in earnest Sunday. I have spent 3 full days creating the thoughts, selecting public domain pictures, reading and verifying facts about the subject, and learning how to work in garageband. Over time three or four versions of this podcast were created, and the one I really thought was perfect and was ready to upload to switchpod, began to delete pieces of the audio! I would have had to record the whole thing over! I was horrified, and very discouraged!! Luckily, an earlier version was still saved, and I submitted it to switchpod without all the bells and whistles. Thankfully, the export/import went well, and hopefully this link will take you to this podcast.  I think if I worked on podcasting, I would enjoy using them in the library, but right now I'm exhausted by the whole process.

6 comments:

Infomaniac said...

I thought your podcast came out great! Where did you get your pictures? You learned a lot. If you feel it was hard for you, read my post for Thing 21; your'll feel like a tech genious.

VWB said...

when i click on the link, I get a whole page of code...
I read down to the bottom and found what looked like a url...when I put that in the address bar, it opened a small screen with your project. Did I miss something somewhere else?

LauraAnn said...

I had the same problem as vwb... Did you ever resolve this situation? (I am still working on this "thing" and am reading ahead about others' experiences...)

Blue Eyes blogging said...

Infomaniac,
I got the pictures from Wikicommons and LOC Memory, and they are supposed to be in the public domain. I have several more that were in the podcast I really liked and which started to delete pieces of itself. That one also mentioned the source of the pictures and the facts. I was so frustrated I forgot to put them in the one submitted! I feel lucky to have gotten out of this one alive. From the next two comments, I guess some folks can't open it.

Blue Eyes blogging said...

VWB and Laurann,
I am sorry you had problems with my podcast and for the delay in my response. I was at my book club last night. I checked it this morning and it opened for me. The link takes me to a link--I guess it is at switchpod. If you do get it to open, the screen is smaller than I would have liked--my husband called it "mini me"-- and the quality of the pictures is not very good. I noticed that the ones that were posted directly into the blogs were a little larger and the pictures were good. I tried that, but I ended up with error message and user and password info that so many of the bloggers posted instead of the podcast.
Maybe I had done a simple audio podcast without the visuals, it would have been more successful.
There are a few things I would like to try to improve the picture quality--using imovie, rather than all garageband, and then merging it with the audio in garageband might have helped. I also have PhotoStudio and iPhoto on my mac, and those programs might be better, too. This "thing" is going to take me a while to resolve, and be satisfied with my product. Life long learning, for sure.

Infomaniac said...

You responses make me laugh--I guess we need to maintain our sense of humor. Loved the "mini-me" observation. Your husband must have a good sense of humor also. Thank you for this info.Again, I thought your podcast turned out well. You have a pleasant narrative voice. I would never put my own voice in a podcast; I can't even stand to hear myself. You sound like an expert throwing around those terms: garageband, PhotoStudion, and iPhoto. All of us now have plenty of projects and ideas we will continue to work on and develop. And your blog is really a beauty.