Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing 14 Technorati and Tags


I confess--I was never good at putting labels on things, and I don't use the tag enough. You can see that by my lack of tags on most of my posts and the limited number of tags I use in my del.icio.us.  However, in the 21st century, the tag, rather than keywords or LOC/Sears subject headings,  might make a lot of sense, and it has made me reassess my views. 
It seems that experienced "taggers" provide several points of access (tags, keywords, subject headings) and they reflect the current jargon of one's field.   Tags seem like they would be easier to maintain than the subject heading. I think it  would be fun to compare  the banned word list  or the newly minted words from  Merriam Webster online see if their appearance on these lists had any correlation to Technorati Top Tags  .  What do you think...can you see tag clouds replacing keywords and subject headings in the patron catalog? I wouldn't doubt it!
I've been looking at the Technorati results for  "school library learning 2.0" for a few days, and  because there are so many blogs, they change--a lot.  This morning's offerings are completely different from last night, and included some familiar names, like Doug Johnson and Cynthia Leitich Smith.  I was also introduced to a blog I found very informative, Speed of Creativity.  I think the more I play with Technorati, the more useful it will become. (photo courtesy of Mara.Luna, posted on Flickr, June 3, 2008)

No comments: