Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thing 16 Wikis


I have been trying to respond to Thing 16 for a few days now, and it has been the most difficult "thing" for me to wrap myself around.  The wiki is the perfect tool for groups to collaborative on projects because the site allows editing and additions by all registered participants and Common Craft had a great explanation of how they work. Librarians would be able to collaborate with teachers and all could participate whenever convenient for each individual. For students, a wiki could be used for all types of book discussion, book clubs and group research projects.
However of the two wikis I am a member of, I can not say I would recommend either platform.  I find working one is a little confusing, but understandable, and the other is just plain confusing and I do not participate. I still had this impression when I studied the wikis suggested in Thing 16 hosted by these sites.  However, a third platform, Wikispaces, seems better than the other two and if I use a wiki at school, I would explore it as the platform. (Photo downloaded from Flickr, and uploaded by  blogefl on Sept. 2, 2006)

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I have found Wikis confusing as well. I hope we discover an ease of use for them!
Melanie

Blue Eyes blogging said...

Melanie, I think the more we use Web 2.0, the easier it will be to use the various tools. I am sure that as individuals, we will always have personal favorites.